RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: How to run DesignDay simulations - Summer and Winter

Hi, Jean

I noticed that you are using the .csv file for plotting.  This may due to your the fact that you have so many zones, and the .csv file is limited to 250 columns by default.  There is a number in the EPlus batch file which you can change to a larger value using a text editor.  I do not know off hand which file is used.  Look for the batch file which is most reccently modified.

If the data is in the .eso file, you can use an .rvi file to select the columns you want to display without re-running the simulation.  When you have more than 100 zones, three wild-cat keys '*' variables would used up all the columns.  With the .rvi file, you can select all the variables for one zone for viewing.  The full description of how to use this is in the postprocessing ffolder.

To use the EPlus ResultViewer you need to add the following to your IDF.

!- =========== ALL OBJECTS IN CLASS: OUTPUT:SQLITE ===========
Output:SQLite,   Simple; !- Option Type
!- ============================

This will generate an .sql file, which you open in the resultViewer to view the variables.

All the data in the eso are visible as a tree on one side of the display. The instruction is with the software.  It will auto size two vertical Y-axis scale.  You can plot any variable versus time.  The time scale can be of the whole yea and expanded to a few hours for detailed viewing.  This is ehe one I use most.  I use the Excell only when I need to add or combine values from different simulation runs.  I also use the .rvi file using a batch file, to generate separate .csv files, which can be easily plotted using Excel.

===============
the   SizingPeriod:DesignDay,   objects are simulated in the order which they are entered in your IDF.  If the SummerDesignDay  comes before the WinterDesignDay, the July data would be listed before the  January data.  The result data are independent of each other.

If you place the Winter before the Summer, the date will appear in the correct order in the .csv.  I think, the data in the .csv in not effected by the listing order, as the warm-up of design day object are independent of each other.  This is only a sizing simulation for the extreme condition, which last the number of days equal to the warm-up days.
In the weather file simulation, the previous day condition flows into the next day at night.  The environment condition is up-dated every about 20 days.

On the first day of simulation the internal variables have the starting temperature value of 23°C.  This is the reason why the data on the first day may look quite different, if the OD temperature is not near 23°C.

In the .epw file, the data at the month boundary are manually smoothed.

The two  "RunPeriod,"  simulations are also independent of each other, I think.  That is why you need to ask for a multiple run in the same object.

I do not use the .eso data directly for transfer of data to the spread sheet without using the .rvi file.  I do use the .eso file to verify that the zone  names, etc.  used in the .rvi matches the .eso file.  You will not use the "*" wild-cat key because that will not format and reduce the column size, in the .csv file

I am very long winded.  Hope the above would help.

 Dr. Li