RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] HVAC Templates

As you did not provide the template for Zone Thermostat, I do not know what is the thermostat type to be used.

The meaning of the others are below.  You only have HVAC durint weekdays between 8 am to 8 pm.

There is no safety temperature guards, for Summer and Winter.

!- =========== ALL OBJECTS IN CLASS: SCHEDULE:COMPACT ===========

Schedule:Compact,
System 08-20h, !- Name
Fraction, !- Schedule Type Limits Name
Through: 12/31, !- Field 1
For: Weekdays SummerDesignDay WinterDesignDay, !- Field 2
Until: 08:00, !- Field 3
0, !- Field 4
Until: 20:00, !- Field 5
1, !- Field 6
Until: 24:00, !- Field 7
0, !- Field 8
For: AllOtherDays, !- Field 9
Until: 24:00, !- Field 10
0; !- Field 11

ã??
This means that you will only have system available during the weekdays (Mon-Fri) 8 am to 8 pm.

!- =========== ALL OBJECTS IN CLASS: HVACTEMPLATE:THERMOSTAT ===========

HVACTemplate:Thermostat,
Thermostat 20-26C, !- Name
, !- Heating Setpoint Schedule Name
20, !- Constant Heating Setpoint {C}
, !- Cooling Setpoint Schedule Name
26; !- Constant Cooling Setpoint {C}

ã??
These set the temperature setpoints, but does not specify the thermostat type.  If the names are not called, they will not be used.

!- =========== ALL OBJECTS IN CLASS: HVACTEMPLATE:ZONE:VAV ===========

HVACTemplate:Zone:VAV,
ZONE 1, !- Zone Name
VAV AHU 08-20h, !- Template VAV System Name
Thermostat 20-26C, !- Template Thermostat Name
autosize, !- Supply Air Maximum Flow Rate {m3/s}
, !- Zone Heating Sizing Factor
, !- Zone Cooling Sizing Factor
Constant, !- Zone Minimum Air Flow Input Method
0.2, !- Constant Minimum Air Flow Fraction
, !- Fixed Minimum Air Flow Rate {m3/s}
, !- Minimum Air Flow Fraction Schedule Name
Flow/Person, !- Outdoor Air Method
0.00944, !- Outdoor Air Flow Rate per Person {m3/s}
, !- Outdoor Air Flow Rate per Zone Floor Area {m3/s-m2}
, !- Outdoor Air Flow Rate per Zone {m3/s}
None, !- Reheat Coil Type
, !- Reheat Coil Availability Schedule Name
Normal, !- Damper Heating Action
, !- Maximum Flow per Zone Floor Area During Reheat {m3/s-m2}
, !- Maximum Flow Fraction During Reheat
, !- Maximum Reheat Air Temperature {C}
, !- Design Specification Outdoor Air Object Name
, !- Supply Plenum Name
, !- Return Plenum Name
None, !- Baseboard Heating Type
, !- Baseboard Heating Availability Schedule Name
autosize; !- Baseboard Heating Capacity {W}

ã??
You have only selected the variable damper operation.  All the other components are not used.  OA is constant, no reheat and no baseboard heater.

The damper position will be controlled by the zone thermostat.

!- =========== ALL OBJECTS IN CLASS: HVACTEMPLATE:SYSTEM:VAV ===========

HVACTemplate:System:VAV,
VAV AHU 08-20h, !- Name
System 08-20h, !- System Availability Schedule Name
autosize, !- Supply Fan Maximum Flow Rate {m3/s}
autosize, !- Supply Fan Minimum Flow Rate {m3/s}
0.7, !- Supply Fan Total Efficiency
1000, !- Supply Fan Delta Pressure {Pa}
0.9, !- Supply Fan Motor Efficiency
1, !- Supply Fan Motor in Air Stream Fraction
ChilledWater, !- Cooling Coil Type
, !- Cooling Coil Availability Schedule Name
, !- Cooling Coil Setpoint Schedule Name
12.8, !- Cooling Coil Design Setpoint {C}
HotWater, !- Heating Coil Type
, !- Heating Coil Availability Schedule Name
, !- Heating Coil Setpoint Schedule Name
10, !- Heating Coil Design Setpoint {C}
0.8, !- Gas Heating Coil Efficiency
, !- Gas Heating Coil Parasitic Electric Load {W}
None, !- Preheat Coil Type
, !- Preheat Coil Availability Schedule Name
, !- Preheat Coil Setpoint Schedule Name
7.2, !- Preheat Coil Design Setpoint {C}
0.8, !- Gas Preheat Coil Efficiency
, !- Gas Preheat Coil Parasitic Electric Load {W}
autosize, !- Maximum Outdoor Air Flow Rate {m3/s}
autosize, !- Minimum Outdoor Air Flow Rate {m3/s}
ProportionalMinimum, !- Minimum Outdoor Air Control Type
, !- Minimum Outdoor Air Schedule Name
NoEconomizer, !- Economizer Type
NoLockout, !- Economizer Lockout
, !- Economizer Upper Temperature Limit {C}
, !- Economizer Lower Temperature Limit {C}
, !- Economizer Upper Enthalpy Limit {J/kg}
, !- Supply Plenum Name
, !- Return Plenum Name
DrawThrough, !- Supply Fan Placement
InletVaneDampers, !- Supply Fan Part-Load Power Coefficients
StayOff, !- Night Cycle Control
, !- Night Cycle Control Zone Name
None, !- Heat Recovery Type
0.7, !- Sensible Heat Recovery Effectiveness
0.65, !- Latent Heat Recovery Effectiveness
None, !- Cooling Coil Setpoint Reset Type
None, !- Heating Coil Setpoint Reset Type
None, !- Dehumidification Control Type
, !- Dehumidification Control Zone Name
60, !- Dehumidification Setpoint {percent}
None, !- Humidifier Type
, !- Humidifier Availability Schedule Name
0.000001, !- Humidifier Rated Capacity {m3/s}
2690, !- Humidifier Rated Electric Power {W}
, !- Humidifier Control Zone Name
30; !- Humidifier Setpoint {percent}

This object select the system components.
You have a draw through fan, a chilled water cooling coil, and a gas heating coil.  OA is filed.
InletVaneDampers is related to the PLR.  All the other components are not used.

The template has about 15 options to be expanded.  It may be too much for a beginner, but is a very good learning tool to get the correct node naming convention.  This is why there are PTAC, PTHP, Unitary, etc. to limit the choice of options.

Check the heating design set point.

In that case, is my system going to "chase" given cooling and heating temperature setpoints for that part of the day, on specified days, for a whole year?

I do not understand what you meant by "chase".  The whole cooling and heating system will turned off during the other periods and weekends, even if the chiller stays on.  When the system is not available, the setpoints are ignored.

Normally, the plant and system are made available all the time for testing.  Cooling and heating may be seasonal or non-seasonal (Type4 thermostat control with dead band)  You may use additional schedules to turn them off when not required.  These are HVAC design procedures.
 Dr. Li