[EnergyPlus_Support] sizing result (was: Post Processing)

On 10/12/2011 05:04 AM, Jim Dirkes wrote:
I do not look at sizing outputs much and do not use the “..Ssz.csv” or “..Zsz.csv” files at all, except in rare cases. Rather, I call for various of the SummaryReports, including the HVACSizingSummary, EquipmentSummary, SystemSummary and ComponentSizingSummary. Fast, nicely formatted, and the HTML version has links so I can jump around to different sections.

Jim,

The more interesting question will be: do you compare your sizing results with the mechanical designer (who will sign the construction documents for the size of the system)? In many projects, I insist in comparing this result with what the mechanical engineers have, and I usually have different (interesting) responses from them.

IMO: it is a waste of resources to have an energy modeller in a project while there is another engineer working on the system sizing, and they both don't talk to each other. The urban legend has it -- and many many mechanical designers believe this, that energy simulation model will result in smaller loads because of the schedules. But this is what it is: a legend.

IMO: if you have your assumptions correct and the same, both the energy simulation model will result in (almost) the same loads with any sizing tools out there. Don't they all claim to comply with ASHRAE calculation method? If they all have the same method, they should all come up with the same result, given the same assumptions.

Cheeers,

Ery