To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: loconinja@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 13:06:58 +0200
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] A few questions..

Hey guys,

I have a few simple questions for you all, so here it goes..

1) Lets say, 2 story building model with 6 zones named 0.01, 0.02, 0.03 (ground flor) and 1.01, 1.02, 1.03 (first floor). No matter what I do in Open Studio, those zones information are entered randomly within Zones class of my IDF File, something like 1.03, 0.03, 0.02, 1.01, etc. The problem is that all of my Output data (Output:Variable) comes out in that same weird order! Is there any kind of way of sorting Zones class objects withing IDF file by name? In that case I suppose I would minimize Excel "tuning" of my .csv files and save up some time!
Open the same file in two EDFeditor windows.  One original and to other sorted order.
Go to the zone in both windows.  Delete all the zone object in the target IDF.  Select the aone object from the original IDF one at a time, 'copy' and 'paste' in the target.  Save the target as the original, and zone names will be in the order you want.

You can do this with cut and paste in the same IDF.

The display order of the .csv file can be customized using the RVI postprocessing technique.

2) Regarding WindowMaterial:Glazing, what exactly is Solar Transmittance at Normal Incidence? Is it the same as Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC), or Shading Coefficient (SC)? If not, how do you determine this value?  The amount of solar radiation transmitted in the direction normal to the glass.  It is not an coefficient.

3) How can I determine/check an U-value for some of my constructions? In HTML file, what does U-factor with Film/no Film for opaque exteriors really mean?
If you are an electrical engineer, you know that resistance in series is the sum of individuals.
If you work with conductionce, it is 1/R.  When you have two layers of material, the conductance is reduced.  So you used the R-value, sum and the invert again.

If you have a film over a surface, the U-value is changed.

4) If I request Output:Constructions, they are reported in *.eio file. How can I open this file and make it readable? What else is there in this file?   .eio is one of the standard output file in text and .csv format.  Can be displayed in a spread sheetl.  Ever number used for simulation is in there.

5) Does data in Zone sizing and flow rates (ZSZ) represent Cooling/Heating loads necessary for HVAC sizing or am I wrong? I've noticed that Zone sizing is reported within a 24 hour span so that would imply using a Design Day data, but what is the main difference between Zone sizing csv, and Zone/Sys Sensible Cooling/Heating Rate csv?
If you use DesignDay sizing or weather sizing, the program look for maximum value the results for  the Zone/Sys Sensible Cooling/Heating Rate over a 24 hour period and use it for sizing.  Sizing csv is for the sizing period.  Normal csv is for the run period.  The result for the same day may not be the same, as the DesignDay object has a different weather condition.

A bit lame questions I know, beginners troubles! :) Anyhow, any kind of help would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Boby