RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Generator:Photovoltaic

If you want a definitive answer, you may want to send your idf file to the helpdesk along with indicating what weather file you are using.

At 04:24 AM 1/11/2012, Ng Poh Khai wrote:

Dear Linda,

Thanks for your reply.  I tried applying a PV using decoupled and IntegratedSurfaceOutsideFace modes on a opaque roof but the results indicate that the inside and outside surface temperatures remained exactly the same with and without PV.

Am I missing something out on this?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Poh Khai

To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: linda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 12:32:11 -0700
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Generator:Photovoltaic

Not sure it works to apply a PV to a window.  Won't get you what you want.  But must not be "detected".

At 08:41 AM 1/7/2012, Ng Poh Khai wrote:

Dear all,

I am trying to simulate a semi-transparent photovoltaic by applying a PV generator to a window.  I chose the IntgratedSurfaceOutsideFace as the Heat Transfer Integration Mode.

According to the Input-Output Reference, it states that for the IntegratedSurfaceOutsideFace Mode, "The cell temperature is obtained from the outside face of the Surface:Heat Transfer named in the previous field. Energy exported by the module is removed from the heat transfer surface".

I tried comparing the "Window Heat Gain Energy" and "Window transmitted Solar" for the window with and without PV and even changed the efficiency but the values remained the same.

If the energy is exported from the heat transfer surface, shoudnt the heat gain and transmitted solar be lower as the PV generates more energy?

Can someone help me with this?

Thank you!

Best Regards,
Poh Khai