[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Elevator and Escalator Energy Consumption and Heat Gain

These are all good questions, and if anyone has written a good text book on energy modeling in buildings, I would love to buy it. Now for answers:

The true accuracy of energy modelling is deturmined by the accuracy of the assumptions that have the biggest impact on energy usage.

Typically these are people, lighting and ventilation air conditioning. As lighting and ventilation are dependant on the assumed people usage, it is clear that people is the most important assumption. Unfortunately, hourly people numbers is often the biggest guess.

Elevators are required by ASHRAE 90.1, but I've looked into standby and usage losses of elevators. It does not significantly effect energy usage, but elevator lights should be considered. The new ASHRAE standard 90.1 requires auto off lighting for unoccupied elevators. X-Ray machines should be included. Ask Dr. Li, he has worked with X-Ray.
Don't forget printer rooms. A printer puts out up to 2000W when it's running. Transformer, switchboard and electrical rooms take up loads of cooling power. Also the baggage moving system of the new BBI Airport in Berlin uses about 2.2 MW of power and is considered 80% on, so don't forget the baggage moving system.

I believe there is a standard that requires a glass facad in airports. The type of glass here will have a large impact. The type of lighting and lighting control. Are your lights recessed?