Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] PCM File Review/Assistance & DSC DATA questions

Mohammad,

This is my first time attempting to work with embedded wall board, as I typically work with the pure PCM, in the BioPCM mat product. Over the last two months I worked on getting my model to work, and many people helped me to figure out the many issues I came across, so I figured I would use what I learned to do my best to help you..

Also because I am the dedicated Energy Modeler for Phase Change Energy Solutions, I have made it my goal to become an expert in all things with regard to modeling PCM's, so have enjoyed working with your file and assisting you in any way possible.

My advise for testing is:

You should be doing your DSC test of the composite in order to get the correct J/kg for your PCM  composite , as your J/kg will be inaccurate if you simply add the lime to the material. (or so I was told in the past when the J/kg where said to be very high for the BioPCM product until they realized that it is pure PCM without additives.) I have attached files on possible testing methods, I suggest you to use the T-History method due to the large sample size involved with your composite wallboard.

For the file you sent:

I have edited your IDF files to have the BioPCM product's temperature enthalpy set with a melt temp of 21C (because you where unsure of your data) changed your construction with PCM to internal source sink layer construction (this is what I have noticed to be the factor that made my PCM simulations work) added HTML reports so results can be viewed quickly (You may not need this and can turn it off if you wish( and time bins for the detailed output you require (you may have to adjust the time bins settings), added some variables specific to CFD, added some meter outputs, changed your convergence limits to ones that are more stable (but take more time to simulate), changed the design day to match weather file, added output .SQL so you can use the tool called "Results viewer" available from the NREL-Open studio package (register & download)  http://openstudio.nrel.gov/resultsviewer-getting-started

 Also I created a baseline-nopcm to test against, and ran a parametric analysis-- each of which are attached, and added a HVAC system using ideal loads to zone1,but did not have time to add one to zone2 and would advise you to do so....

Hopefully this works for you, and feel free to email me with any further questions.

Lastly, if you get good temperature enthalpy data for the BASF product and can share I would be very appreciative..(I want to do comparative  analysis with the BioPCM)

Thanks