[EnergyPlus_Support] simultaneous heating and cooling in the condenser loop

All,

I am referring to the example
HVACTemplate-5ZoneWaterToAirHeatPumpTowerBoiler.idf. The cooling tower
and the boiler configuration from the HVAC template always results in a
simultaneous heating and cooling.

The loop water temperature range is specified in
HVACTemplate:Plant:MixedWaterLoop. Everytime the water loop temperature
falls below the temperature range specified, the boiler should be ON.
But unfortunately, the cooler is also ON during the same condition. This
obviously results in exaggerated gas consumption.

I cannot understand why the control scheme cannot prevent the cooler
from operating. I can confirm that during those times, the plant loop is
on heating demand. The plant equipment availability scheme should only
make the boiler available, and make the cooling tower unavailable. I
tried to trick this by specifying a gap in the heating and cooling
demand, so that there is no equipment is available during zero demand.
But this does not help.

Note that I have to disable the insulation of the external walls so that
the temperature falls below 20 degC. I use Boise weather to run the test
simulation for two weeks summer and winter.

Question: is there anything I can do other than using EMS?

Thanks,

Ery