RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Condenser Loop

I my view, the heat exchanger is not really needed. For energy modeling, you just need 30C water going into the chiller.  So just run district chilled water at 30C for the “condenser” loop and ignore the rest of the actual system.

If you really must have tank and the third loop, I would use a chilled water storage tank (input object ThermalStorage:ChilledWater:Mixed).  Tank setpoint temperature at 30C.  Use Side connected to chiller condenser plant loop.  Source Side connected to district chilled water plant loop with setpoint at 17C.

The HeatExchanger:Hydronic model has known issues and you should probably stay away from it.

From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nacho Gomis
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:18 AM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Condenser Loop

Brent I didn't understand very well what you wrote but I have looked into the example files and I found something near to what you told me.

One of the files is PlateHeatExchanger.idf

This simulation, if we see the side of the condenser, has two condenser loop which are linked by HeatExchanger:Plate object. The secondary condenser loop has a cooling tower which I dont want to have.I thought it can be replaced by this cooling tower by DristictCooling object.Is it allowed to use this object for a condenser loop?In the same way,is the thermal storage and the water heater objects allowed to be used in a condenser loop?

Because I found another example file, FreeCoolingChiller.idf which is very similar.the difference is that it couples a condenser loop and plant loop by HeatEchanger:Hydronic object.Because now I have a plant loop,it is allowed to use a DistrictCooling object.

Am I going in the right direction with that examples files?

Ignacio Gomis