From: Jean marais <jeannieboef@xxxxxxxxx>
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, 30 April 2012, 0:22
Subject: Re:[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Open plan office Zoning Guidelines for 90.1 G

Hi Xing,

I have to smile to myself when I read our discussion. I feel the same way as you do. Appendix G does not give enough trust to the modellers (but why should they). As for the experienced modellers, many of them can tell you what the large impacts are. Ironically, the biggest unknowns like people schedules, often have the biggest impact.

I've found that the size of the building is not as time consuming as the complexity. If you have multipliable zones, even floors, that will knock off a lot of time. Simple HVAC is another consideration. Simple or complex geometry (damn all those atriums and domes!!!) Unfortuanately, with LEED projects simple HVAC, and simple geometry is not happening often.

I've no experience with eQuest, but I had also learned that our competitors here in Berlin were modeling LEED projects in 25 days with TrnSys. So we bought TrnSys and guess what...it's possibly even more detailed than e+. They have 20 years worth of experience and have built up a substantial library of consolidated cases for easy adaption. If I had that for e+, maybe I would also be as fast. As I'm in Germany, (almost) every project I've seen has radiant ceiling/floor and a DOAS with VAV (no reheat). As such, using eQuest when I started was not possible.

When I first read the ASHRAE 90.1 norm, I was using e+ v3 and was wondering how any simulation program can do these simulations. For my first LEED simulation, I was pretty ambitious, and thought it would take about 2 months. It ended up taking 800 hrs (okay, it was a football stadium).

This discussion ties in closely to Jeremiah's post and should probably be continued there...