RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Setpoint Managers are driving me crazy!

Dear Forum,

I think I figured it out.  Dehumidification is working!  Edits are shown below in the original (just in case anyone cares other than I J)

I ended up not using the :OutdoorAirPretreat manager; it seemed like a good idea, but the  :SingleZone:Humidity:Maximum seems do all that is needed.

Dr. Li,

Thank you for your detailed comments!  Here are some responses:

1.       I am modeling a system designed for a supermarket, so whether or not it is a “good idea”, my purpose is to simulate the actual design.

a.       Thus the locations for pre-cooling coil, heat exchanger

b.      The heat exchanger is used for sensible energy only

2.       The pre-cooling coil is intended to dehumidify the retail area so that load is removed from refrigerated casework. (principally less defrost energy)

a.       I think the economizer is not used in this design because they are problematic when humidity control is important

3.       SetpointManager:Warmest is used to monitor each of the zones and adjust the AHU discharge temperature to whatever is needed for the warmest zone.  This minimizes reheat energy.

a.       You are correct that reheating is often wasteful.  In this case, all lighting energy is added to the zone because the lights are installed on pendants (no suspended ceiling or return plenum)

4.       The SetpointManager:MixedAir is only used for adjusting control nodes to account for fan heat; it does not actually control anything.

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., BEMP , LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
616 450 8653