From: bldg-sim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bldg-sim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Dirkes
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2012 11:49 AM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; bldg-sim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Bldg-sim] Food for thought....

Dear Forums,

I am busy preparing a short talk for the Fall ASHRAE Energy Modeling Conference.  The topic is “An Approach for Calibrating Existing Building Energy Models to their Utility Consumption”.

As part of the preparation, I will address the issue of how much difference might result in energy conservation measure savings predictions if you use actual weather data for the billing period versus TMY data.

To get a rough idea  how much variation there might be, I looked at Degree Days for a span of years.  What a variation! (for the city I’m studying at least)

I am not yet sure how that affects total energy consumption – you’ll have to attend my presentation in Atlanta to find out J.

In the meantime, I am starting to think that existing building energy models should use actual weather, not TMY data.  Have any of you run similar comparisons for existing building models?