RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] RE: [Bldg-sim] Food for thought....

With TMY, one get a feel of how the average weather pattern is for that region.  It is suitable for designing building for reduced energy consumption, although it may not match accurately the annual utility consumption cost..

Actual weather data may give you a good utility cost match.  If you do not have HVAC, there is no cost calibration requirement.

When natural ventilation is used in a tropical country, there is no cost element either.  Therefore, TMY is a good data source to provide a good estimation of solar radiation on the building.

The use of air-conditioning has increased the urban day time temperature by as much as 5°C in  Singapore.  The weather station for Singapore is at the Changi airport which is not at the city centre.  Therefore, the local real time data may still not the same as that at the City.

For Toronto, due to the lake effect, the downtown temperature is 2°C lower than that measured at the Peason Airport.

The above is for the reasons against using actual weather data instead of TMY.

 Cost saving may not be energy saving.   Simulation is done for comfort.

Once the high rise urban style is created, it does not matter what data or simulation tool one use, the result will not result in energy saving, because the building occupier will pay for all the air-conditioning comfort.

Most of the simulation work  I have seen in this group gave me the impression that the users are more interested in comfort and cost saving, and not in energy saving.

I know the above is not what you would like to talk about at the ASHRAE conference.  ASHRAE has done a good job in improving the building insulation standard.  They have started to recognize that the 1955 comfort standard is too tight for energy saving.  There is no real purpose in matching the actual  utility cost with the simulated result.   LEED certificate should address energy saving and not on cost saving.

 Dr. Li