RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Testing in design time

Dear Robin,

I wish that I had more of this type of work!  I have not done much, but here are some thoughts:

·         Early design energy modeling does not need to be “perfect” for the building shape, just reasonably close.  Proper orientation to the compass, height, and shading

·         This effort should be considered “guidance”, not “guaranteed performance”

·         It would be easy to identify 10 design aspects that are of interest, each of which might have several variations (such as wall / window fraction).  You could spend a LOT of time modeling all of them and trying to determine an optimum.  I think a rough sensitivity study is proper to see which affect the building most, then pick the most important 2 or 3 and study them more closely (Unless you have a big budget and a lot of time).  Also, some design aspects may not be possible to change for reasons other than energy use, so have a good discussion with the designers before you prepare the energy model.

·         I think that Architects are normally very visual, so do not present tables of numbers – make great and colorful ch