[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Testing in design time

Just like James, I wish I had more of those projects.

Decrease external and internal loads...my steps

1) Site selection: think of likes to transportation, views into green space, public services, and many more... check out the LEED SS credits on this as a good guide
2) Building orientation with respect to glazing fronts, South facing windows provide the most benifits for daylight and energy saving
3) I would try and stay below 40% glazing...basically more glazing = more energy usage upto about 10% Window to Wall ratio based on two story building. But more glazing = more appeal to Architects and us. Floor to ceiling glazing is optically great but has draft problems and increases the "fall" of cold air down the window resulting in discomfort zones near the window. Big cold radiative exchange areas (windows) are also a source of discomfort.
4) External shading is amazing when used creatively and very benitfitial. Think of combining with PV panels, Transpired Solar collectors, solar thermal heating, etc.
5) on the topic of daylighting, try keep perimeter daylit zones not deaper than twice the window hieght and keep the top hieght of the window as high as possible.
Remember that daylighting makes little sence if you don't include dimming sensors. For that matter, occupancy sensors should really be standard for all modern buildings, so don't forget about them.
6) Less window area is more effective than using tripple pane glazing.

Only after doing 180% on the envelope design should you even THINK about HVAC "solutions". HVAC tries to elliviate the symptoms, it doesn't treate the cause.

If you're working with a good team you may consider combining in "designed natural ventilation.

Make sure the designers know that buildings are built for PEOPLE. And who, when and what those people are expected to interact with their build environment.

Wholistically, building "sustainability" is about more than just energy saving. Interested parties should at least get some good ideas from the LEAD, BREEAM, Greanstar or many other green building rating systems.

Good luck.
7)