RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Interior Geometry

I did not join in earlier, because I do not know what you are after.

Now, it seems to me that you are trying to model an IT equipment room with a raised floor, and is not exposed to outdoor environment.

In general, in EPlus, the thermal dynamic boundary is the building envelope.  The building is in an air tank.  When air enters the building, the amount of heat that comes with the inlet air  is registered. The same amount of air at the zone temperature  is relieved to the OD air tank.  The heat transferred is simply lost, as it is not significant to change the environment.  This applies to the OA mixer, infiltration and ventilation objects, not using AFN or EMS..

However, user may make life to be complicated trying to recover heat from the relief air and feed it back to the OA inlet.  I maintained that the HE should be connected to chimney, etc. and not the return air relieved amount.

When you mount a window AC unit to a zone, EPlus does not actually insert the unit in the wall.  Only the circulating air is considered.  The power used by the fan can be included or excluded in the simulation.  It is not necessary to leave an empty space for the unit.  If the unit is large, it would be split and mount outside or on the roof top.

For the IT box, if it is very large and separately controlled, it is like a refrigerated room in reversal  The condition should be specified in more detail.

For example, the heat generated by a lighting fixture may be split into parts.  The visible and heat in the zone is one part, the heat which can be removed by the plenum is another part.  A fraction can be declared in the Lighting object so that only part of the lighting power is added to the zone heat balance calculation.

The IT box can be declare as a equipment with heating source.  The size of the box is not important.  However, if you have a cooling system circulating inside the box, the temperature of the box surface may not be the same as that of the zone.  If the user do not want to simulate the system inside the box, the equipment may have positive or negative heat contribution to the zone.  Because the box is not declared, there is no reporting of the box surface temperature.

If you declare the box as a separate zone with the metel box as the wall  and add another AHU to control its temperature, then the IT box is another zone.  The heat generated is exchanged with the environment, resulting in a box temperature which can have a set point value.  If this is set different from the room, there will be some heat flow across the box.

In a tropical country where there is no heating requirement, I actually reverse the normal equipment cooling process of drawing the cooled  room air into the box and exhaust from the top.  The cooled dry air is fed int from the top and hot equipment air exhaust into the r
Hi, Jean

I've checked the Zone object, and I saw only the Volume field, but not the area field. Besides, there are floor area and ceiling height as well. So, how do I consider some significant areas (e.g. big IT boxes that generate heat) which can result in heat transfer inside a building envelope? Should I go with the internal mass approach like Jeremiah suggested above?

Best,
Long