RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Multiple HVACTemplates Per Zone Error

You have a two pipe fan coil unit in each zone.  This is a zone unit, and does not need an AHU. The OA mixer may be included in the unit.

You need two water plants, one for HW and one for ChW.

EPlus does not switch plant loops, so you will  connect them as a four pipe system.

In Summer, the chiller is turned on.  In Winter the boiler is turned on.  The change over days are assigned by you with a schedule.

How much energy are wasting?   I think, you are referring to the days that the system is on and the fan coil units are not running.

In Eplus, the plant would be turned off when there is no demand.

EPlus does not simulate pipe loss (all specified as adiabatic).  The tank, if used, may have a conduction loss to the environment.  Therefore the annual simulation would not give you the idle energy wasting values.

In a real system, you will observe the PLR when idle, and use that to estimate the energy usage.

For example the chiller may cycle between 12.5 and 7.5°C.  Start at 12.5°C run till the water is at 7.5°C and then turn off.  The energy wastage is entirely on the tank and pipes, and the power is for the pump and the fan at the EIR.  These cannot be easily simulated, because the location and environment for  these pipes are not known.  You may simulate the effect with an equivalent storage tank.  The plant will keep this tank at the designed water  loop temperature when the demand is zero.

The direct answer to you question on the EPlus template usage is that  the set of  templates must be for the appropriate application..

You will use the HVACtemplate:Zone: for the fan coil unit.  and the HVACtemplate:plant for the water plant, boiler and chiller.

VAV for the zone is an adjustable damper for an air duct, which is to be used with a HVACtemplate:system.  (two templates)  to form the DOAS (AHU system).

An additional  fan coil unit in the zone is still possible, but not easy to specify, because one zone thermostat cannot control two sets of equipment..

You can only specify one  HVACtemplate:Thermostat  for each zone.

 Dr. Li