[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: AMY-weather files for North Europe

Like Joe, I feel flattered too because of how things are connected: STRANG calculates the clear-sky irradiance with my SMARTS spectral radiative transfer code, which formed the basis of the REST2 broadband model, itself at the root of the new ASHRAE parameterized model. The latter made its debut with the 2009 HOF, as Joe mentioned. Note, however, that the 2009 model has now been updated and improved in anticipation of the 2013 HOF, which will also have more world stations than in 2009.

My own tests with the Z-H model showed it was not accurate (and sometimes unreliable) in climatic areas away from its intended "comfort zone" (i.e., parts of Asia). This is most probably because it is purely empirical. Based on that experience, I can confirm Joe's comments.

Outside of ASHRAE's weather stations and linked irradiance information, it is still possible to obtain hourly clear-sky irradiances with the REST2 model. Its input atmospheric data are gridded, and available globally over the world.

Chris

--
Chris A. Gueymard, PhD
Solar Consulting Services