Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Directly input the value of annual electricity consumption

Sarah,
I agree with Javed about solar modeling, specifically using System Advisory Model (SAM) https://sam.nrel.gov/
It is a fast to use and learn, has great support, has very comprehensive libraries and financial projections, is free and is based on TRNSYS so performs a full 8760 simulation.

Since you are modeling a simple house, I would advise you to use BEOPT http://beopt.nrel.gov/features
It has a rapid model geometry creation tool that is quicker and easier than any other I have used, it has built in optimization algorithms and can be used to run Energy Plus, or DOE2. If you use it with the Energy Plus mode than you could export the IDF and add BIPV using the IDF editor.

For BIPV there is the surface heat absorbed (and converted to electrons) from the PV, witch Energy Plus can model, and yes there is the first goal of demand reduction that can be evaluated in Energy Plus, but is Energy Plus much more involved so far as learning time and model creation so if all you need is solar output and are not concerned with building demand than SAM might be a better fit.

Jeremiah D. Crossett  | Senior Analyst  |  Phase Change Energy Solutions
120 E. Pritchard St.  | Asheboro, NC 27203  | Mobile 503-688-8951