RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Ground temperature of Singapore

Hi, Karen

Your suggestion is good and has been tried by us, adding a basement zone below the house.

The problem is the definition for material "soil" or "earth".

With a concrete floor, the material is usually  air, sand, small stone, large stone, and then earth.  Depending on drainage, the top portion is usually dry.

The floor is actually not in contact with the "ground".  I suggested to Dr. Ooi the use of the simple transmission line model powered from both ends.  The far end voltage is unknown, the near end can be measured.

In the thermal case, I suggested to cover a section of the floor area to cut off the heat flow, (open the switch for the current) and record the the temperature with time.  Using the simple RC model similar to the CTF wall, the measured value was around 25.5°C and his measured temperature at the similar depth outside the building was 27°C.

In the EPlus Earth Tube example, there are four conditions for the earth on the top and the bottom of the tube, because the difussivity can change.

Dr.Ooi's nanny house extension is 440mm above ground.  How do you model this space? and how to maximize this for location Melbourne, Australia?

I have suggested to Dr. Ooi that the use of  monthly average number for simulation will never produce a good result for every day of that month.

Natural ventilation is a different class of research.  To the American people, this is going back to the stone age.

 Dr. Li