Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] IDF model parsing/writing.

Hi Yacine,

I have some experience in this having written a parser which writes XML to IDF round-trip. It's in Python, using the bindings to C based libxml2 and libxslt. I'll be presenting it during SimBuild 2013 Chamberry and also using it as a case study for a workshop, which is aimed at introducing Python to energy modelers. Concept will be also hosted online http://www.pythonpoweredbuilding.com/, it's still a work in progress.

I like the XML vs SQL or code idea because it can still be viewed in notepad, and it's got a great suite of tools for manipulating, searching, transforming etc. I like SQL just because it has the potential for defined relationships between objects, but I think this could also be handled by a validator (Schema or XSD).

Just my two cents, others have gone in different directions. Anyways, I will be making some of my code open-source, in the longer term (too busy right now), or also open to collaboration.

Cheers,

Marcus
--
Marcus Jones,  M.Sc., LEED®AP BD+C