RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Weather converter issues

Not so fast Linda, it turns out that you have been programming in the dark ;)

First let me apologize for the Frankenstein weather data file I sent to you.  The first couple of weeks were standard time, then the server switched to daylight savings, back to standard time on 4 Nov, crash in late Nov, back to daylight savings in Mar 2013.  I set my servers to standard time only when logging data, but this station had a bad hard disk crash and then got unplugged by mistake for a while. Unfortunately for me, I will have to repair this file to complete my study of a renovated building.  It is also unfortunate that it obscured the real problems with the converter.  I’ll send you a set of “good” files from 4 different locations to play with as you wish next week.

First issue: the input file must start with data for the first time step of the day, not the last step of the previous day or anywhere else. Everything you initially developed the program for starts at hour 1:00.  When one starts at the odd 0.05, 0.10, 0.15, 0.20, 0.30, the program issues a torrent of warnings, but it keeps chugging along and stays in sync with the input data.  Perhaps that should be a little clearer in the docs.  I initially thought the program actually understood where it was from the initial date and time, but that is not true.  I’ll just work that into my preprocessor since I have to fix compass directions and check data integrity in the file anywhy.

The calculation works fine (I’m not judging what it calculates, just that it is happy) if it is generating solar data by itself with no solar component data input from the user.  A limitation of the program is that it does not  calculate predawn or post sunset diffuse solar radiation.  I happen to be using Davis Vantage 2 weather stations on my sites, so I am collecting global solar radiation data (ok, so it is not super calibrated, thousands of dollars device).  Now the converter is working to fill in the blanks based on some input.  There are two faults in the current program for this task.

Second issue: when there is predawn or post sunset global horizontal radiation input, the internal solar calc has nothing to work with, so it does nothing with the input.  What it should do is recognize that there is no direct solar radiation at this time so the input global horizontal radiation must be all diffuse solar radiation. (ok throw a warning if you want…this isn’t the big problem)

Third issue and bigger problem: when it is critical sunrise or sunset event in the time step, something completely blows up in the calculation , and a small to an extremely large and bogus direct normal solar is calculated.  The program recognizes a simple error that it has calculated something larger than it thinks possible, so it throws an error flag.  If that error routine were a little smarter, it could correct any error when the direct normal is calculated as zero or some very small value that indicates a sunrise or sunset event, but still pass the error along when the sun is a little higher in the sky and maybe the Global Solar is in error..

With a 10 minute time step, I see errors for almost every day of the conversion in my files.  I think I have a workaround for the moment.  If I calculate a .csv using my solar input that generates errors and a second .csv using the converter calculation alone, I can write a quick routine to compare the files an fix the bogus direct normal calculations and repair the skipped predawn and after sunset data.

…time for an Easter egg….

Ned Lyon, P.E. (MA, WV)
Staff Consultant

SIMPSON GUMPERTZ & HEGER