Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] F-factors

Jean,

My only comment is that I've always modeled the slab as carpeted. Therefore, the foundation layer always starts with a carpet (or what a colleague used to call "RUGNPAD" :-) ) that's modeled as a pure resistance layer of R-1.08 (in IP).   This doesn't affect the total R-value of the modeled slab, just reduces the R-value of the fictitious soil layer,  but it does have an important effect in decoupling somewhat the thermal mass of the concrete from the room heat balance,  which is the effect of the carpet.

For anyone interested, I've just scanned the old 1988 ASHRAE paper ("Whole-House Simulation of Foundation Heat Flows Using the DOE-2.1C Program",  by  Huang, Y.J., L. Shen, J. Bull, and L. Goldberg) and put it on the Web (www.whiteboxtechnologies.com/PAPERS/88_YJH_etal_Fdn_Model.pdf) because it was the technical basis for the Winklemann article.  Please notice that the analysis, which was done for the Building Foundation Design Handbook ( Labs et al., Univ. of Minn Underground Space Center, 1988 now out of print), directly imported the heat flows from the 2-D foundation model into the DOE-2.1C simulations, similar to using the Slab program with EnergyPlus.  The U-effectives (or F Factors) were calculated for two purposes: (1) to adjust the foundation heat flows for the actual space temperature,  and (2) to give readers a rough idea of the net difference in heat flows between the 88 foundation measures.  I never thought of them as a stand-alone calculation method, so it's been quite surprising to find them still referenced 25 years later.   Warning: the PDF is quite large (over 26MB) because it was all scanned.

Joe
Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D