From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Yi Zhang
Sent: 06 June 2013 11:49
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: How to properly set the random seed for stochastic processes in EMS?

Ryan,

I guess you can assume that the intrinsic Fortran random number generator is as good as any standard RNGs. So using 1, 2, 3 …, 1000 ‘should’ give you what you want, without showing any obvious patterns. On the other hand, if there are problems with the RNG, you are unlikely to improve your chance by ‘randomizing’ the random seeds; just think about buying lottery tickets…

Brent,

I think the exception comes from the “FuncRandSeed” function (in RuntimeLanguageProcessor.f90) taking @SEEDRANDOM operand as a float, and then converting it into integer… The simple solution will be put the acceptable range for random seed in the user’s manual J The random seed handling in v8.0 is a big improvement over v7.x, by the way.

Cheers,

Yi