[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Pools in E+

Hi,

Here are my 2 cents to the discussion:

- This work by Randy Jones has no references to Shah's works because it's from 1994, previous to most of Shah's works dealing with evaporation from swimming pools. Jones' article is also available on the the Solar Energy journal: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0038092X94905975 (but here Charles Smith is the main author).

- As far as I know there are two more papers by Smith and Jones on evaporation from swimming pools: Energy Requirements and Potential Savings for Heated Indoor Swimming Pools (1993) and Rates of Evaporation from Swimming Pools in Active Use (1998) .

- There are various works on evaporation from very different water surfaces: small tanks, swimming pools, big reservoirs or lakes, etc; some deal with occupied swimming pools where it seems evaporation can be 2-3 times higher than when they are unoccupied; some deal with evaporation caused by natural convection, some by forced convection, some by mixed convection, some don't even mention it!
The prediction of the evaporation rate by different models/formulas can vary widely.
There are some works that resume models and formulas by other authors. For example: A critical review on equations employed for the calculation of the evaporation rate from free water surfaces (2000) , Evaluation of Available Correlations for Rate of Evaporation from Undisturbed Water Pools to Quiet Air (2002) , Experimental comparison of the ability of Dalton based and similarity theory correlations to predict water evaporation rate in different convection regimes (2012) .

- I think the differences between different models is due to: 1) experimental results been obtained in particular circumstances, and therefore aren't valid outside those conditions; and 2) evaporation isn't easy to measure, and experimental measurements usually suffer of big uncertainties, specially if done in real situations (pool, reservoirs) outside the lab.
Myself am trying to do some measurements in indoor swimming pools and there are some things I just can't control and uncertainties I don't even know how to quantify.

- I think the most widely used formula to predict evaporation from swimming pools is the one from the ASHRAE - Hvac Applic