[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Pools in E+

Hi,

Do you think you could give some details about that paper? ... title,
authors
Thanks

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Chien Si Harriman  wrote:

> That is way more than two cents worth Rui!
>
> I ended up finding a research paper funded by the DoE that claims the
ASHRAE equation overestimates evaporation loss by about 25%. They only
had one experimental data set to make this claim though.

> My general feeling after doing all the research was that you just have
to find a model and go with it. So many variables to predict, the best
we can do is make the closest prediction of these variable estimates and
go.

> From there, just engineer the system well.
>
> What I didn't find appropriate about shah's work for my calculation of
an outdoor pool's heat loss, is it seems to be most applicable to indoor
pools?  That is something I an not sure about.  Can his work be used for
outdoor pool calculations?  I agree that his work is the most
comprehensive though, by far.

> Maxime, I don't have a sheet I have a python script. I don't know if
this is what you mean.  It isn't a spreadsheet.

> On Jul 16, 2013, at 6:12 AM, "Rui" ruiigreja@... wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Here are my 2 cents to the discussion:
> >
> > - This work by Randy Jones has no references to Shah's works because
it's from 1994, previous to most of Shah's works dealing with
evaporation from swimming pools. Jones' article is also available on the
the Solar Energy journal:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0038092X94905975 (but
here Charles Smith is the main author).

> > - As far as I know there are two more papers by Smith and Jones on
evaporation from swimming pools: Energy Requirements and Potential
Savings for Heated Indoor Swimming Pools (1993) and Rates of Evaporation
from Swimming Pools in Active Use (1998) .

> > - There are various works on evaporation from very different water
surfaces: small tanks, swimming pools, big reservoirs or lakes, etc;
some deal with occupied swimming pools where it seems evaporation can be
2-3 times higher than when they are unoccupied; some deal with
evaporation caused by natural convection, some by forced convection,
some by mixed convection, some don't even mention it!
> > The prediction of the evaporation rate by different models/formulas
can vary widely.
> > There are some works that resume models and formulas by other
authors. For example: A critical review on equations employed for the
calculation of the evaporation rate from free water surfaces (2000) ,
Evaluation of Available Correlations for Rate of Evaporation from
Undisturbed Water Pools to Quiet Air (2002) , Experimental comparison of
the ability of Dalton based and similarity theory correlations to
predict water evaporation rate in different convection regimes (2012) .

> > - I think the differences between different models is due to: 1)
experimental results been obtained in particular circumstances, and
therefore aren't valid outside those conditions; and 2) evaporation
isn't easy to measure, and experimental measurements usually suffer of
big uncertainties, specially if done in real situations (pool,
reservoirs) outside the lab.
> > Myself am trying to do some measurements in indoor swimming pools
and there are some things I just can't control and uncertainties I don't
even know how to quantify.

> > - I think the most widely used formula to predict evaporation from
swimming pools is the one from the ASHRAE - Hvac Applications Handbook.
But it's very vague, it includes an activity factor, ranging from 0.5 to
1.5, depending on the type of pool, and doesn't take into account the
occupancy level.
> > I think Shah's works have something no one else has, he compares
his, and other's, analytical and empirical models with experimental
results. And, he manages to achieve very good levels of deviation from
the experimental results. His publications can be found here:
http://www.mmshah.org/publications.html

> > I'd love to hear what you think and your comments about these
points.

> > Regards,
> >
> > Rui
> >

> > --- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Chien Si Harriman wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks Jim-
> > >
> > > Have fun at the wedding. I can share what I've learned when you
get back.
> > > I ended up being pretty fed up with what I could find out there
for hourly
> > > calculations of outdoor pools, so I've begun to write my own
python script
> > > for the calculation, based on this reference. I'd be happy to let
people
> > > take a look at it.
> > >
> > > Have fun at your daughter's wedding.
> > >

> > > On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Jim Dirkes jim@