Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] EPW file, time stamps and time zone

Farhang,  and others interested in processing their own weather data,

Please note there's a difference in convention between the US and Europe (don't know the situation in other places) in how climate variables (esp. solar radiation) are recorded.  In the US, the data are over the previous time step (e.g., the previous hour), whereas in Europe, the data are around the time step (e.g. -30 minutes to +30 minutes).  This difference has an appreciable effect on the solar radiation data as well as the calculation of the sun position.  Since the EnergyPlus Weather web site contains a number of weather files produced in Europe and elsewhere, those files may have solar radiation that's 30 minutes early unless the files have been adjusted in being converted to EPW.  A spot check I  did recently on one such file picked at random to the IWEC2 file for the same location did show a small shift in the solar radiation data.

In terms of calculating the sun position for an EPW, it should be the average of the sun positions at the current and the previous time stamp. However, this gets a little tricky at sunrise and sunset hours, where the sun position should be the average only for the time when the sun is above the horizon.

Joe
Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D