Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: extreme weather data

Ooi,

Although I'm totally in support of using weather data to determine best how buildings will perform in the future, rather than the past, I want to clarify some misstatements and then share some of my perspectives on this issue of extreme or future weather.

1. EPW is just the format of the weather files used by EnergPlus, and does not relate to their contents, which could be  typical year, actual year, future year, etc.
    Perhaps you're thinking of the typical year weather files such as those on the EnergyPlus Weather web site.

2. Typical year weather files are generally created by extracting the most representative months from a historical period of record;  Meteorologists have traditionally
    used 30 years as a good sampling, but that was before there was much awareness of climate change.  This is something I'm starting to look into, i.e., at what point
    does lengthening the period of record actually worsens the predictive ability of the weather file or computed design conditions for the future?  Of course I can't see
    into the future, so I intend to look into the recent past and see how well we did (or could have done) with different periods of record.

3. Although it is possible to create future year weather files from GCM (Global Circulation Model) projections, I have some concerns:
    a) while GCMs generally agree that average global temperatures will rise, the results at the regional level can vary greatly depending on the model,
    b) the GCM results have to be downscaled for specific locations, but with all the unknowns is this perhaps just false precision?
    c) some GCM outputs, e.g., wind speeds, cloud amounts, are highly conjectural, so the differences might be simply that  between real and synthetic data.

4. There are other ways to account for climate change without directly importing GCM outputs:
   a) "morphing" a historically-derived "typical year" based on GCM projections of future trends
   b) using shorter more recent period of record in generating the "typical year" file (for California, I've recently used just the last 10 years)
   c) selecting not the average months but those that correspond to GCM projections.
   d) or simply using the hottest year over the past decade.
   I've tried a, b, and d in various projects over the past decade.  The results, especially if you push things to 2080, can be quite startling, but I always present
   them as indications of what "could happen", not what "will happen".

5. Extreme weather is best studied by looking at  the historical records, rather than by climate modeling (IMHO).  The models show that likelihood of extreme events
   will increase, but as for their intensity and duration, it's difficult to say.

Joe
Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D