RE: RE: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] ASHRAE 90.1 building envelope compliance methods

The thing not to confuse is that the requirement to the insulation layers of the construction assembly is not the same as the total assembly U-value. Also, like Sean said, if you hand calculate the U-value of a construction as put forward in Appx. A, you will find that they closely match with those in the Tables (there are some rounding errors, especially from I-P to SI units. Just don't compare the R-values required of the insulation to the U-values of the entire assembly and expect to get the same values.

---In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <energyplus_support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If you use Appendix A in 90.1, you will find that the required R-values come very close to the required U-factor as long as you use the construction assemblies as described in the appendix. If your construction assemblies are significantly different than those specified in Appendix A, then the U-factor path should be used (for both baseline and proposed).

Look to the 90.1 Users' Manual for more guidance.

Rahul

---In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <energyplus_support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The consensus for modelling purposes at least is that the U-value of the assembly is to be held for the baseline case. The R-value of the insulation layer is not nessesary, although constructions can be made to apply to both. Note the R-values of insulation layers are "rated" values which sometimes need to be derated in accordance with appx A (eg. Steel-framing/insulation layer).

A note to some other recent posts regarding ASHRAE rated assembly U-Values: e+ calculates these according to the ASHRAE 90.1 standard for the summary reports.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen- Sent from my iPhone (excuse the brevity)

i. A.
Jean Marais
b.i.g. bechtold
Tel.   +49 30 6706662-23