[EnergyPlus_Support] RE: RE: Shading of many overhangs and calculation time

Interesting question, to which I don't know the answer. However, be careful to correctly account for the thermal bridging effects in the wall surfaces due to the attatched balconies. This is construction detail dependant.

---In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <o.hans@...> wrote:

Hi Patrick,

it depends a bit on your building design. If the balconies are rectangular and easily related to the windows below, then Shading:Overhang will be the fastest to model and calculate. They are linked to a specific window and input is therefore simple.

"Detailed" always describes a shading object that may have a shape other than rectangular and a vertices count other than four. Shading:Zone:Detailed is therefore an option if more than one window are covered and/or the shape is non-rectangular.

Shading:Building is an object related to the building but not linked to any specific surface. Mostly used to describe an external object shading the building.

Oliver

---In energyplus_support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <jcrossett@...> wrote:

It would defiantly make a difference in model creation time, and also in optimizing your design scenarios.
------->With shading overhang you have the benefit of a symmetrical model where you could add all your shading in a ratio based method so it would be a global setting- might want to do so on a orientation basis.. Also shading detailed may involve many surfaces, the primary issue with long runtime.  I am not so familar with shading building. Also you might consider use of controlled blinds.

Jeremiah D. Crossett  | Senior Analyst  |  Phase Change Energy Solutions
120 E. Pritchard St.  | Asheboro, NC 27203  | Mobile 503-688-8951