[EnergyPlus_Support] RE: Fireplace and wood-burning stove

Really thank you for sharing your ideas with me ! If anything more comes to mind, i would be glad to hear it.

Kind Regards,

Paschalis Vavalos

---In energyplus_support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <eglyon@...> wrote:

To simulate the wood burning, you are going to have to construct a detailed pattern of heat output from the wood device.  Some of the heat will be radiant and some will be convective.  Recommended cast iron stove temperature is 400F to 500F maximum.  You may be able to start a fire, but have limited control over adjusting the heat output (my airtight stove does have a draft regulator that responds to the stove temperature), so the space may be over or under heated depending on exterior conditions and fire status.  An important consideration can be heat storage in mass masonry elements and radiation from stove pipes in the occupied space.  For an open fireplace, you will need to have infiltration sufficient to satisfy the chimney draft, but some stoves fireplaces include combustion air connections to outside.

I suggest that you research wood heat sources more before attempting a model.  Many manufacturers have detailed information about heat output from their products.  You will likely need EMS logic or a highly detailed schedule to complete your analysis?.

Ned Lyon, P.E. (MA, WV)
Staff Consultant

SIMPSON GUMPERTZ & HEGER
781.907.9000 main