Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Unexpected difference between 'Total Cooling Rate' (hourly) and rated cooling capacity

Hi Neal,

Possible reasons for the differences:

(1) cooling coils delivered capacities can be greater than the design value when coils are run at condenser entering air dry bulb temperature less than the rated condition (tdb < 35.0) and when there is such a high zones cooling load. Check if the internal heat gains and outdoor air amount during the maximum coil output hour and the design day peak hour values are different. Zones with large glazing on south facades may experience higher solar heat gain on days other than the design day depending on location.

(2) keep in mind that the gross total cooling capacity already includes the cooling sizing factor but not the fan heat effect. So, the ratio shouldn't be the same as the sizing factor.  Based on your assumption it should have been 1.0.

So, it is possible for this ratio to be greater than 1.0 but has no direct correlation to the sizing factor. I would look at the condenser entering air temperature and the zones load at the maximum cooling coil output hour and compare them with that of the design day peak hour values.

Hope this helps,
Bereket