RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] simulating a coat of reflective paints (cool roofs)

It’s been a pleasure to look over your electronic “shoulders” as this thread has progressed over the last week or so.  I appreciate all of your insights.

Regarding the (in)capability of E+ to model cool roofs, this seems to me “normal”.  Things start out “pretty good” and tend to get better IF users participate in testing, validating and informing the developers about their findings.

Over the last several years, we (BPT) have added 17 little insect stickers (“bugs”) to our PC monitors � one for every bug we’ve uncovered in E+.  On the one hand, we’re proud to have discovered them.  On the other hand, the E+ team has responded to every one of them and corrected everything (except for the most recent because there has not been a new release in a while).

Kudos to the E+ team for being very responsive!  May it ever be so!  How could we succeed without that support?

Occasionally I worry that the US government will decide that the E+ software is no longer in need of maintenance or development, but so far that doesn’t seem likely.  If it does happen, we’ll all have to join Big Ladder Software in a big consortium of user / developers�. Maybe we should join them regardless?

At the moment, the E+ user forum is a great place to get assistance from the world’s best modelers and I am very thankful for all of you.

James V Dirkes II, PE, BEMP, LEED AP
www.buildingperformanceteam.com
Energy Analysis, Commissioning & Training Services
1631 Acacia Drive, Grand Rapids, MI 49504 USA
616 450 8653