Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] why blinds not reducing heat gain through window?

What you say is true, but it's not the only effect of window blinds.  Of the solar radiation that's intercepted by window blinds, most of it   is reflected back out of the window depending on its reflectance, a small fraction (< 5%) is transmitted, and the remainder absorbed and reradiated as long-wave radiation.  So, when I hear that window blinds actually increase the indoor air temperature, this would imply that the reradiated long-wave is significantly greater than the reflected short-wave, which would happen only if the blinds are heavy and dark. However, all the blinds I've seen, especially those used for solar control, are either white or very light in color.

It's pretty well-known that external blinds are more effective than internal blinds for reducing unwanted solar gain. However, this is the first I've heard that internal blinds are not just ineffective, but counter-productive.  In rereading the original post, I noticed it said "Zone mean air temperature" and "Surface inside face temperature" have both gone up.  I'm not particularly surprised at the latter, because blinds tend to have higher absorptivity than glazing (although I would caution not to ignore the transmitted short-wave through the window in comparing surface temperatures), but I am surprised at the former.  I don't want to speculate further on this until I know more how the blinds are being modeled, how the zone is being controlled, and how the HVAC, if there is one, is being modeled.

The following link is for a paper done in 2004 studying the same issue in a similar building (80% glazing on the facades) and comparable climate (Canada).  That study concluded that internal blinds reduced cooling loads on a continuum depending on their reflectance, with the best (90% reflectance) approaching but still significantly less effective than external blinds.

http://sbrn.solarbuildings.ca/c/sbn/file_db/Doc_File_e/Simulation%20design%20study%20for%20the%20facade%20renovation.pdf

Joe
Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.