Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Assign a dimension to an EMS output variable

It might be easier to use Meter:Custom to combine the coils' energy

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 8:05 AM, m.aldegheri@xxxxxxxxx [EnergyPlus_Support] <EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear All,

in an .idf I'm working on, I wrote an EMS program to sum the energy consumption of some electric coils.

I used Heating Coil Electric Power [W] sensors.

After that, I obtained the result I was looking for and a .sql file (via:->EnergyManagementSystem:OutPutVariable -> Output:Variable).

My problem is this: the calculated data in output to the EMS module seems to be dimensionless. I usually use Result Viewer to plot my .sql data but in this way I cannot compare an EMS output (for example the summed heating coil electric power) with a non-EMS output (for example the identical variable for a single coil simply reported in Output:Variable) because the first type of data is considered dimensionless and the second type of data has its own dimension (W in this case). In this case when I try to plot them in the same graph space, they are not reported with the same vertical axe, but in relation with 2 different axes.

Is there a way to define that a particular EMS output variable has an identified dimension and so, to have a plotting in reference to the same axe?

Thanks a lot

--

James V Dirkes II, PE, BEMP, LEED AP
The Building Performance Team

The more one does what is good, the freer one becomes. There is no true freedom except in the service of what is good and just.

Posted by: Jim Dirkes <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>