Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] fan systems & design Days

Nice description Dru. Making it easy for us non engineers to find our way... thanks!

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the EE network.
From: dru.crawley@xxxxxxxxxxx [EnergyPlus_Support]
Sent: Wednesday, 4 March 2015 13:04
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Reply To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] fan systems & design Days

Design conditions are based on climatic conditions (drybulb or wetbulb temperature, humidity, wind speed) that are exceeded by some percentage (0.4, 1, 2% for cooling; 99, 99.6% for heating).  So a 1% or 99% design condition means that based on the period of record (the years for which the climate data are analyzed), you can expect that the temperature (or whatever variable) will be exceeded for 87.6 hours (1%). Of course weather is more varied and some years it will exceed that design condition by more or fewer hours. These design conditions are used to size heating and cooling equipment. Typical percentiles used are 99.6% for heating and 1% for cooling but you may want to use other percentiles depending on what you're designing. The EPWs (EnergyPlus weather files) contain design conditions from ASHRAE 2013 Handbook (great source with data from more than 6,000 locations worldwide) and the design conditions are also available in EnergyPlus format (IDF) in the .DDY files that come with the EPWs.

There is a new EPW data set just released by ISHRAE that should be available soon, with data for more than 50 locations in India.