[EnergyPlus_Support] CBEI Advanced Benchmarking [1 Attachment]

Greg

We will definitely want to consider the ‘advanced benchmarking’ approach described in this document as a standardized tool worth applying – the innovative procedure (well documented) is a method for disaggregating what appears to be (on a scatter plot of energy usage vs average daily temperature) temperature independent electric energy usage into an HVAC baseload associated with process cooling (data centers) or simultaneous heating and cooling, including fans,  pump and ventilation energy.

This technique, as described, REQUIRES interval electric meter data… It does not use the ASHRAE IMT change point model approach, but rather fits 2nd order polynomials to the temperature dependent energy usage (heating and cooling). I think an improvement might be to fit traditional changepoint models (particularly the 6P model, which attempts to identify if/where airside economizer cooling might be occurring) to the temperature dependent energy.

At any rate, if we have programmatic opportunities for analyzing interval meter data, we now have a (more or less) standardized procedure for disaggregating the energy into more detailed end uses than heat/cool/base, which provides for more detailed triage.

The other opportunity to watch here is an attempt to correlate actual building attributes (for example, % window wall ratio on south side) with energy usage. While the hub is attempting to develop these correlations (strong/weak/etc) against real measured data, the same relationships could have been determined (IMHO more reliably) by mining parametric model results. Unlike the advanced interval meter benchmarking, I don’t see a lot of value in the work they are doing in this effort, but I will continue to follow it.

All the Best,

_Chris

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This email message is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive the confidential information it may contain. Email messages to clients of Performance Systems Development may contain information that is confidential and legally privileged. Please do not read, copy, forward, or store this message unless you are an intended recipient of it. If you have received this message in error, please forward it to the sender and delete it completely from your computer system.

View attachments on the web

Posted by: Chris Balbach <cbalbach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>