Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: custom weather file with multiple years with the converter tool

Lukas,

Thanks for the information. I must admit I never use WeatherConverter to create a weather file from raw data (I have other software to do that), but I find what you describe troubling, because it means a user in the US with raw data but no solar, which is 95% of the time, better make sure to input a TimeHourOffset=-0.5 or else the user will get an EPW file with the solar in European convention, i.e., from -0:30 - +0.30.  Furthermore, I see no advantage at all for WeatherConverter to calculate the solar radiation in European convention since EnergyPlus always assumes the data is in North American convention, i.e., from -1:00 - 0.00.  Repeating what I had written before, the only time that the WeatherConverter should use a TimeHourOffset=0 is if the GHI is already in European convention and WeatherConverter is being used to calculate the DNI (Direct Normal).

I've thought of doing what you've done in rebinning the data, but came to the conclusion that simply moving the longitude is much simpler and also avoids both the problem of smoothing that you've mentioned, plus another effect that's more important, which is the solar intensity at sunrise and sunset hours. These are very nonlinear with time, particularly the DNI, and if you just do linear interpolation you may see very wierd effects, like DNI or even GHI being more than Extraterrestrial, or being zero when the sun is above the horizon for a fraction of the hour.  At the sunrise and sunset hours, you cannot just use the average solar position for that hour, you must calculate the fraction of hour when there is sun and then calculate the sun position only for that fractional hour.  This is because while the average solar position may be below the horizon, there can still be up to 30 minutes when the sun is above the horizon.

Joe
Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 205A