Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Grate as solar protection

Geert,

I think this is not easy in E+.
I was just looking at:
http://www.radiance-online.org/community/workshops/2014-london/presentations/day1/McNeil_BSDFsandPhases.pdf
At page 43, 44 and further Andy McNeil describes how to generate a BSDF
for a grate.

I believe E+ now has some capability for dealing with BSDFs for complex
fenestration systems. I've never tried this in E+ and I don't know how
far these capabilities extend and whether they're able to deal cases
where the grate is not parallel to the window.

One way out would be to model the solar radiation using Radiance and use
the calculated irradiance on the window as input for E+.
The above cited pdf basically gives all the code to calculate an annual
irradiance matrix.

You might take a look at
http://daglichtontwerp.nl/dynamische-lichthinder-simulatie/ (in Dutch)
where I used a grate in the roof of a lab. This grate was exactly
dimensioned such that there never was any direct solar transmittance.

Best regards,
Wouter

Posted by: Wouter Beck <wouter.beck@xxxxxxxx>