Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: LOW-E GLASS VS BRICK WALL

My opinion is that your architect is correct. The rated thermal conductivity of 3 ply glazing with low e coating will be around 0.8 W/(m2*K), where as the wall would typically be 0.4 if you are following common international standards.

the fact that 400 mm of brick and insulation is more insulating than 30 mm of glass assembly should be indicative.

As your heating demand is minimal,  passive solar gain through the glazing will be worse for you over most of the year.

The amount of energy spent to light a space using LED lighting is so small that the extra cooling from more natural light is likely to be much more.

So build a house without windows, live by the light of LEDs. There will also be less infiltration of hot outdoor air to cool.

Just kidding. My tip is to visit a window shop. get a sense of how dark a window appears. check the different "silvering" options. check how the performance goes up or down depending on these factors. find the combination of look and performance that you love.

we pay a price for everything. a 6 ply glazing might be perfect until you see the hinges breaking and scream at how heavy and difficult it is to open and close.

in short, you can't have your cake and eat it. As for your architect, keep him. he seems to know his stuff. I respect all architects that understand and don't abuse glass the way most do.