[Equest-users] Heat exchanger module

Karen Walkerman kwalkerman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 04:37:35 PST 2008

I'm not sure what others experience has been but:
1.  I believe the heat exchanger module is basically to attach a cooling
tower to a loop, nothing else

2.  I have had trouble having eQuest properly recovery heat from a loop.  I
have found that using chillers, eQuest will only recover up to 100% of the
chiller's hourly capacity (chillers usually reject more than 100% to the CW
loop), also, sometimes much less than 100% is recovered.

3.  With the loop-to-loop heat pump, I recall it being called on by a
cooling load, and not by a heating load.  In other words, it will reject
heat to a heating loop only when a cooling load exists, but will not turn on
if only a heating load exists.  I'd be delighted if anyone can tell me how
to operate it otherwise.

I recently completed a project that required modeling heat recovery.  I
ended up using the hourly outputs, and calculating in an excel spreadsheet.
 I did get some test models that appeared to work, but when I looked at the
hourly results, sometimes only 15% of the heat was being recovered when the
HW loop could've used 100% why... I don't know.

Hope this helps, and eQuest developers--I'd love to see a solution to the
above issues.  I think that myself and some others on this list-serve would
contribute to the cost of making improvements, if possible.

Karen Walkerman