[Equest-users] System Compliance Heating and Cooling Values

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Jul 16 15:15:29 PDT 2010

Hi Amber!

I don't enter scheduled capacities or modified scheduled capacities.
G3.1.2.2 says we need to oversize coil capacities by 1.15/1.25 "based on
sizing runs for each orientation."  Keeping in mind this is for the
baseline only, basically that section is getting at the requirement to
let the model auto-size these baseline systems based on the same loads
that the proposed systems are sized under (people, ventilation air,
envelope and process loads, etc).

Basically, I don't specify a capacity (allowing eQuest to autosize), and
enter those factors as the cooling and heating sizing ratios under the
appropriate tabs in the airside systems tabs/spreadsheets.  This will
up-size the calculated capacities in the manner emulating how an HVAC
designer might for safety  (keeping in mind this is often all based on
TMY averaged weather data, which doesn't account for atypical seasons
climactically).

Hope this helps!

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.