[Equest-users] Increased Energy for Cooling with Increasing Insulation and Decreasing Infiltration

Christian Kaltreider ckaltreider at sudassociates.com
Mon Jun 11 05:43:13 PDT 2012

Hi Dan,

This is a common result.  You may want to search the archives, as this has
been discussed in depth before.

Many buildings, particularly non-residential buildings, are 'internal loads
dominant' rather than 'envelope dominant'.  This means that the majority of
the cooling energy is spent removing heat from lighting, plug loads, people
and perhaps solar gains.  None of these things are dependent on outside
temperature.  So in an internal loads dominant building, there can be many
hours out of the year in which the building is in cooling mode while the
outside temperature is lower than the inside temperature.  During these
hours, heat transfer through the walls (from inside to outside) and
infiltration are beneficial from a cooling standpoint.  They act as a sort
of uncontrolled economizer, reducing the amount of cooling required by the
mechanical system.  Increasing insulation reduces this beneficial effect.

I hope this helps,

Christian