Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] natural ventilation with stack effect

Shefali:

The airflow modeling can be done using the COMIS airflow model.
Given a vertical window, COMIS can model the airflow impact of
opening a horizontally pivoted window to a certain angle.

I do not see a way to model the solar gains of the open window.  If I
understand your intent, when such a window is open, there are times
of the day when some of the sunlight can directly enter the space
without going through glass, some of the sunlight will pass through
the tilted glass and then enter the space directly, and some will
pass through the tilted glass and then enter the space by passing
through the window below it which may also be open or may be vertical.

If you were to specify the window coordinates in it's tilted
position, the shadowing and interior solar distribution routines will
have difficulty with the protruding glass.

Mike

On 17 Jul 2002, at 18:54, Shefali Rajendra Modi wrote:

> I am trying to study the impact on heat gain by different types of airflow
> through  the double skin envelope. So I guess I am modeing for both, solar
> and ventilation.
>
> Can that be done in energy plus?
> thanks
> Shefali

> Shefali Modi
> M.Sc. Architecture, Environmental Technology
> Art and Architecture Building 2094
>
> On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Michael J. Witte wrote:
>
> > Shefali:
> >
> > What effect are you trying to model?  Solar, or ventilation?
> >
> > "View factor to ground" changes the balance of sky diffuse vs. ground-
> > reflected diffuse solar which hits the window, and this is a fixed
> > value for the entire simulation.
> >
> > Mike Witte
> >
> > On 16 Jul 2002, at 14:55, Shefali Rajendra Modi wrote:
> >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > While modeling a simple room, I would like to use different angles of
> > > window opening. Assuming that the windows open along the horizontal axis,
> > > would the "view factor to the ground" be the correct place to specify this
> > > angle of window opening. If not can you guide me on how to specify opening
> > > angles.
> > >
> > > thank you
> > > Shefali

> > > The primary EnergyPlus web site is found at:
> > > http://www.energyplus.gov
> > >
> > > The group web site is:

> > http://www.energyplus.gov
> >
> > The group web site is: