Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] performance curves of York units

Yes, LINEST will give linear coefficients for the data in the columns.  If the
data columns include values for x2, y2, and xy (computed in the columns), then
the result is equivalent and the coefficients will be valid for the bi-
quadratic fit.

On 25 Feb 2004, at 13:35, Edward Lyon wrote:

> LINEST is going to give you a straight line fit to the data in the colums, not
> the coeficients of a bi-quadratic fit to the data
>
> Ned Lyon
>
> Senior Project Manager
> Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc.
>
> 41 Seyon Street
> Building #1, Suite 500
> Waltham, MA  02453
>
> Phone:  781-907-9000
> Fax:  781-907-9009

> Excel can curve fit any form of an equation using the LINEST function if you
> creat extra columns of data to represent the non-linear terms.  For example, to
> curve-fit a bi-quadratic, z=A+Bx+Cx2+Dy+Ey2+Fxy, make six columns of data in
> Excel containing values for x, x2, y, y2, xy, and z.  Then use LINEST to
> curvefit z vs. the other five columns.
>
> Another user suggested using DOE-2 to do the curve fit.  If you do that, you
> have to be very careful about units conversions.  You would need to enter the
> values as SI values in the DOE-2 curve fit command.
>
> Mike
>

> On 25 Feb 2004, at 12:46, Edward Lyon wrote:
>
> > I think you may need the math power of MathCad to do a biquadratic easily,
> > otherwise you will need to program a solution yourself.
> >
> > Ned Lyon
> >
> > Senior Project Manager
> > Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc.
> >
> > 41 Seyon Street
> > Building #1, Suite 500
> > Waltham, MA  02453
> >
> > Phone:  781-907-9000
> > Fax:  781-907-9009

> > yes, excel do a good job for quadratic curve .... but the
> > biquadratic?????????
> >
> > if you are able to make biquadratric (f(x,y)) curve with, tell me how ...
> >
> > david
> >

> > >From: ÕŹâÓñ <zh_guangyu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > >To: dcormier81@xxxxxxxxxxx
> > >Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] performance curves of York units
> > >Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:55:01 +0800 (CST)
> > >
> > >if you can input the data into excell work sheet, then it is easy to find the
> > >vurve. by using curve fitting, you quickly get the curve

> > MSN Search, le moteur de recherche qui pense comme vous !
> > http://fr.ca.search.msn.com/

> > http://www.energyplus.gov
> >
> > The group web site is:
> >
> > Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate folder
> > in the Files are of the Support Web Site.
> >

> > -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are of the
> > Support Web Site.
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
> > Click Here
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >   To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

> > http://www.energyplus.gov
> >
> > The group web site is:
> >
> > Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate folder
> > in the Files are of the Support Web Site.
> >

> >  -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are of the
> [...]

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/dkFolB/TM

 -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.