Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Construction of Curtain Wall with Openable Windows

You must describe an opaque base wall surface and then place window subsurfaces
on it.  For the opaque portion, you cannot use material:windowglass.  If your
opaque sections have a glass exterior layer, then you need to describe a
material:regular layer with the appropriate thermal properties.

The divider between the glazing can be described using window frame and divider
objects.  Or, if the dividing section is just a section of the opaque base
wall, you do not need to describe anything additional.

For modeling the ventilation effect, you need to decide how accurate this needs
to be.  A first cut can be done using the VENTILATION object which will allow
natural ventilation down to a specified zone temperature.

If you want a more detailed treatment of natural ventilation, then use the
COMIS model which requires significantly more detailed descriptions of cracks
and openings in the building.  COMIS ventilation controls can open and close
windows according to the zone temperature.

To coordinate mechanical system operation, if your HVAC setpoints are
consistent with your ventilation controls, the two systems should run as needed
and not compete.

I do not have an example file.

Mike

On 25 Mar 2004, at 9:22, Edward Lyon wrote:

> Probably the simplest way to model detailed window properties is to
> create your windows using WINDOW 5 and THERM 5.  You can then use the E+
> import link for WINDOW output.
>
> The COMIS infiltration model will allow you to open windows on some
> type of schedule.  However, you need to be aware that COMIS ventilation
> and any mechanical system ventilation you model are not integrated.  I
> also don't think you can easily write a schedule that says something
> like I will open the windows until my zone goes out of temperature set
> point at which time I will close the windows and turn on the AC.   The
> automatic controls available to you seem to be designed for a type of
> automated window operation using temperature and energy considerations.
> I did not see any links in the programs that would transfer control to a
> mechanical system if conditions go out of range.  I have recently
> considered such a model and concluded that I would have to do a lot of
> manual scheduling and several trial runs to refine the schedule.
>
> The current COMIS link is nice, but I expect there are others who are
> also waiting for further refinements in the integration of COMIS and
> mechanical ventilation systems.
>
> Ned Lyon
>
> Senior Project Manager
> Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc.
>
> 41 Seyon Street
> Building #1, Suite 500
> Waltham, MA  02453
>
> Phone:  781-907-9000
> Fax:  781-907-9009

> Hi, all:
>
> Could you tell me that how can I model the curtain wall with openable
> windows?
>
> How can I define the layers of construction? Using the window glass
> material?
> How can I defien the divider between glazing?
> How can I defien the openrable windows within the curtain wall?
>
> Is there anybody can me a example file in .idf or .idd format ?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> David Tian
>

> Do you Yahoo!?

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:
>
> Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate
> folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.
>

> -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are of
> the Support Web Site.
>

> Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> in the Files are of the Support Web Site.
>

>  -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are of the
>  Support Web Site.
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx

 -- please post any files to the appropriate folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.