Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] No energy balance and fixed boundary conditions

> > Though I now know how to set the outside wall temperatures I would
> > like to run EnergyPlus without the zonal energy balance, but with
> > fixed inside and outside boundary conditions so heat fluxes can be
> > evaluated. Is there a way to turn-off the zonal energy balance along
> > with all other heating/cooling systems?

What you want to do is beyond the intent of EnergyPlus, so I do not know if the
results will be valid.

There is no way to turn off the zonal energy balance, however, you can describe
a zone with a single heat transfer surface and nothing else.  This leaves you
with only two components in the zone energy balance:  the surface and the zone
air.

To force the inside surface temperature, you will need to condition the zone.
This can be done using PURCHASED AIR and a set of thermostat objects (see
PurchAir.idf example file).  Use the ConvectionCoefficients object to set the
inside convection coefficient to something very large which should result in the
inside surface temperature being nearly equal to the zone air temperature.  The
thermostat setpoint is then your inside surface temperature.

Again, scrutinize the results carefully to be sure you are getting what you
want.

Mike

Michael J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.
EnergyPlus Testing and Support