Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] About the 5zoneAirCooled example

You can just take  the Zone Sizing object for PLENUM-1 out. It is not
being used in the
sizing calculation.

But this raises the issue -  what effect do plenums have on  the
calculation of zone  design
air flow rates? The answer can not be found without a sophisticated
iterative sizing procedure,
which EnergyPlus doesn't have. This is a 1 story building with a return
plenum in contact with
the flat roof. On a summer design day, there will be a large roof load
which will mainly effect the
plenum return air temperature; some of this roof load will be exhausted,
some will appear as a
load on the cooling coil. The question is how to deal with this in the
sizing calculation. I ended
up deciding to treat the plenum as an unconditioned space in the sizing
calculation. This is a conservative
decision - it will cause an overestimate of the conditioned spaces'
design cooling flow rates, but
will do a decent job of sizing the coil. By the way, this case is one of
the more extreme examples of
return plenum's influence on conditoned zone loads. For a mid-floor in a
multi-story building, the
influence of a plenum on zone loads is quite small.

Fred Buhl