Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Question about Zoning.

Yes, you can describe a single thermal zone which is made up of two or more
separate spaces.  A zone is simply a collection of surfaces (and internal gains
and HVAC connections).  Note that radiant exchange is not sensitive to
position, only area and orientation.  So, the surfaces in room 1 will exchange
radiant heat transfer with the surfaces in room 4 if they are all described as
part of the same thermal zone.

Mike

On 10 Mar 2005, at 9:42, Shantanu P wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am a beginner in EnergyPlus. I have read the documentation that comes with the
> installation. I am having some doubts about how to zone a building. For example:
>

>                                    Room 1       |    Room 2
>                                  ------------------- | --------------------
>                                      Room 3     |    Room 4
>
> In the above building, suppose I have a single air handler for room 1 and
> room 4 and as a result would like to group them as a single zone. How would I
> describe the zone. Can I just describe the zone to have 12 surfaces (assuming
> the rooms are rectangular), and give thier respective vertices, or is there any
> other method. If it is just describing the surfaces, would that hold good for
> rooms in different floors too.
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Shantanu

> http://www.energyplus.gov