Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] the low-e glass

You may wish to post the same question on bldg-sim which is a more general
simulation mailing list.  For info, visit:

  http://www.gard.com/ml/bldg-sim.htm

My own sense of this issue is that low-e glass could only be a disadvantage
during times when there is a cooling load in the space and the outside air is
cooler than the inside temperature.  Under these conditions, if an air-side
economizer can handle the cooling load, then if may offer no significant
different in energy user.  At all other times, I would expect the low-e glass
to be an advantage.  But I cannot say that I have ever run a stuy to verify
this.  It is certainly an excellent application for a simulation study, because
the answer will depend on the balance of conditions where the low-e glass is
better or worse, assuming it really is ever a disadvantage.

Mike

On 7 Apr 2005, at 2:26, princeps7405 wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I have got many solutions on e+ from yours for long time.
>
> this is not a question for e+ and energy simulation but a general
> concept to select glazing.
>

> I make a office model for energy simualtion. It has a high internal
> loads such as occupant, lightings and office automation. The window-
> wall ratio is bigger than 90%.
>
> I think that a double low-e glass(6mmLE/24mm-Air/6mmCL) is much
> benefit
> than a doule pain glass(6mmCL/24mm-Air/6mmCL) when it is installed
> where internal load is a low-level and heating is prior to cooling
> such
> as residental house needed to air conditioning at night.
>
> Because of its low emittance of long wave radiation, some people say
> that the low-e glass may have disadvatage at west or south perimeter
> zone of an office, transmitted short wave radiation of sun and
> generated much long wave radiation by occupants, lightings and OA
> machines.
>
> Although there are a high internal load and long solar heat gian time,
> Is a double low-e glass the best choice for the west and south face
> of office building?
>
> Have you exprienced to simulate that case?
>
> or Do you have a related information for the selecting windows
> according
> to its internal condition and face directions.
>
> i'm waiting advices of yours.
>
> thanks

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is: